Thursday, August 21, 2008

8-21 Update

We enjoyed a great first day of class! I enjoyed meeting all of your children and learning a little bit about them with our “ice breaker.” Everyone had to introduce themselves with an adjective that began with the same letter as their first name!

We covered an overview of the semester, class supplies, and quickly moved into the material. I was able to cover the first three references in their workbook! Whew! We are moving fast. I also introduced "narrative" writing which is what they will be doing in their journal.

Homework assignments are on the syllabus, and I went over them in class. If you have misplaced your syllabus, it is listed in a post below and will be available on this site for the semester.

Today all of the children were given a Webster's Dictionary. This would be a great reference for their vocabulary words. Please be sure your child knows how to use a dictionary before allowing them to use a computer dictionary. One child asked if the vocabulary words and definitions could be typed. That is your decision as the parent, but if you allow it I suggest having your child type the definition rather than allowing them to "cut-and-paste" it.

Please e-mail me with any questions or concerns. Finally, please make sure your child completes the homework each week. They will be rewarded for their efforts by me, but, much more than that, they will gain a foundational grasp of the English language.

1 comment:

Emma Kathryn Talley said...

I like will's paper, it's cool! See you thursday.




Emma