Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Chapter Nine Update

After receiving an e-mail from a parent and seeing my own children struggle with the Chapter 9 Shurley English test, I wanted to send you a brief e-mail to cover a few points.

Please do not worry about this test. I expect most children struggled with it a bit. I prompted my son a little to get him on the right track. The questions on this test were worded differently than anything we have done. In the book, this would have been a lesson one day - to have them list the different types of pronouns, and begin the helping/linking verbs. However, I simply did not have time in class to do it this way. I am teaching the material every minute we are together! Ugh!

However, I gave them a different quiz in class this week and I was very encouraged to see where the kids are with the material. We will be reviewing most of these grammar concepts (while adding new ones) for the remainder of the year. If your child understands the Q & A flow, then she/he is doing great. If I have specific concerns about your child, I will always send you an e-mail.

Although we will continue at a fast pace next semester, be encouraged that we have already touched-on many of the grammar concepts. The trick now is MAKING IT STICK! We will continue to progress with writing and sentence labeling by understanding the function of the different parts of speech.

Each week, please try to do all of the assignments, but remember WE HOME SCHOOL! One of the benefits of this is that we can be flexible! I understand not getting it all done. I have told all of the kids they are welcome to bring in the assignments late. I would much rather them do it late, than do nothing at all. Additionally, (I think I stated this at the beginning of the year) if your child is writing an assignment for another class, and you feel it would be too much to have them do the English assignment, please have them give me the other paper they have written. Although I will not grade it as a paper, your child will receive credit for writing a paper. Please don't make a habit of this, but every once in a while it's fine! I am very flexible!

I hope this helps! Stay encouraged! I'm amazed at how much the children have learned in the few weeks we have had together!

On a final note, I was planning to have your children keep their Thanksgiving poem in the notebook for their "end-of-the-year-book." If you would like your child to have it to share with family for the holiday please remind them to take it home over the break. I've been impressed with the poems I have read! Precious!

No comments: